Tuesday, May 14, 2013

25+ Small Things

Last Night
As I lay in bed knowing I took the next day off of work, I say to my husband "you should take tomorrow off". He can't he says, and we both drift off into our dreamworlds.

Morning
In the morning we are all up swarming from room to room, kids are off to school, husband off to work, and I have the day off. I decide to crawl back into bed and just about the time I'm drifting off I hear a car pull into the drive way. I jump up to unlock the door, thinking my husband took the day off. He walks in and I smile and say"Did you take the day off?" "No" he replies ""Chics are in at the post office"

HOLD THE PHONES....

For those that don't know, we live on a hobby farm. This year my husband has invested in equipment to start breeding chickens. We currently have about 39 eggs, and I think 3 duck eggs, processing.  I'm sure processing is not the correct word but as you know I'm not a farmer! I'm learning and lord knows I like pretty things and poop (there is a lot of it on a farm) is not pretty. I've already been told no heels in the barn, and I don't need lipstick on do to chores. My version of duck hunting is going to the auction buying ducks and throwing feed on the ground to get them to come.

Ok, ok back to he chickens... So we have 39ish incubating (<- I think that's the right term) and last month my husband drove 6hrs round trip to get a special breed of chics that just hatched. He built a special brooding box for them, but the first couple of weeks they live in our house -in our house! A controlled  climate with out the up and down of temperatures. So today finding out our other chics came in was NEWS to me. I had no clue he ordered 25 of another "special"  breed. Which means more chirping in the front room, just when I thought the chics had flown the coop (aka got out of our house) 25 more are moving in.

I turn around without saying a word & go back to bed, he sets up the new babies and back to work he goes. The thing is it really makes him happy, but the fact I had no clue he ordered more makes me unhappy. Tonight I'll address this issue!

Tonight
I sit across from my love and give him the "eye" here and there. He's acting as though he doesn't notice. I ask "what are you looking at on the computer" he replies "a chicken hatchery"... I pause collect my words and respond "are you ordering more chickens? I didn't even know you ordered the ones that came in this morning" he smiles his shameful little smile I fell in love with 18years ago & says "I was gonna break it to you gently"! Ummmm mmmmmmm speechless to this response, and then I smartly say "your version of break it to me gently, is walking in the door saying they've arrived at the post office?" Here comes that Damn smile again, "I didn't know how to tell you?" Oh how I love this man, that sits here looking like a lost boy confessing to his mother in guilt. "We'll" I say "I need to order more makeup anyways!"  (Makeup being one of my other favorite hobbies)He laughs and says he loves me!

The life we live sure is entertaining, and I do love it. Our compromises, our surprises both good and bad, and our understanding in each others happiness really makes our house a home.  There's a saying "Don't sweat the small stuff" we'll even if its 25+ small things, I've learned if you give a man a house, garage and barn full of chics, basically you can buy as much makeup as you want!!


No comments:

Post a Comment