Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Important possession

There is a country song where a little boy swears and the dad says " son where did you hear a word like that". In response the little boy replays "dad I've been watching you, I wanna be just like you, I'm your buckaroo"... Or something along that line.

This morning, I watched and learned from my own kids! In the car we had an upbeat song on, happy, dancy type of music and a great way to start the morning, however, it said "Hell yeah". My son was singing along... I told him to please not sing that word, he can sing but just don't say the bad words. I did switch the station and guess what 3 times, 3 differsnt stations, 3 different swear words! I thought to my self "WTF" than I was like oh my gosh did I just think what the f#*%... Wow reality! We as parents often feel like we are the parents and our rules don't apply to ourselves. Boy are we wrong. Next time you are in a mall, check out line, or out in public listen to all the foul language that comes from kids mouths. Yes some are simply defiant children, but most have learned it from us, the parents. It's up to me to make sure my children know some words should not be used, even if they hear them on tv, radio, or from others. In public if I hear a child swear out loud, I think "do I say something, or not" I suppose for each situation I will have to decide.

As we approached the school I told my children to have a happy day. That all I want is happiness for them, each and everyday. I walked my youngest (pre-k) to the crosswalk across from the school doors. We stopped, looked both ways, paused waited for the school bus to drive by, looked again and she crossed the bus lane. She turned around a few times to wave at me as she walked into school. Which I in returned smiled as big as I could a shook my hand vigorously back and forth at her, faster than a dog wags his tail. As she walked to the doors a little boy was behind her. She stopped turned to wave one last time, than said to the boy " boys are suppose to hold the door open for girls, it's the way it's suppose to be".  At first I thought " you mouthy little thing" than I realized, no she is correct. Maybe his parents didn't teach him that, and I was instantly proud of my girl. The little boy did open and hold the door for her. I think a tear streamed down my face. Perhaps because she's growing up, or perhaps because we taught her manners.

Time with my kids is the most important possession I have. My life is not perfect, I don't often complain or vocally express the cons that happen. I choose to be happy, and allow that to reflect on those around me, whether on Facebook, twitter, by phone, or simply in person. I choose to show the public the happy side of our lives. I work full time, more than most people realize...I am blessed to have a career filled with financial stability. Even more I am blessed to be able to spend time with my children each morning, filling them with good, happy day thoughts to start their day off! I am blessed with the knowledge to raise my kids to have manners, know right from wrong, and know love...

And for this I continue to ...
   LIVE, LIFE, LOUD

No comments:

Post a Comment