Sunday, February 26, 2012

Roll with the Punches

Today was fantastic...well actually this whole week. There have been a few stumps I've had over the last few weeks but when you roll with the punches man can things happen!
A co-worker that went home for the weekend back to Pittsburg called and her grandmother passed away. I remember my own grandmother passing. My husband and I were living in North Carolina at the time I was pregnant and 2weeks away from having our son when I got the news. The plan was my mom was going to comedown and stay with my husband and I and watch our 2year old little girl when I went into delivery. I knew my gramma was sick and she had gone through so many surgerys, and suffering, so when I got the phone call....well a lump filled my throat and I felt confused. I cried and I was sad, my husband was with me. He was only going to be here until the birth of our son and than he was being shipped to Kosovo. So the emotion of not being able to say goodbye to my gramma, not being able to be home during this time, knowing my husband was leaving, and now facing the task of giving birth without my mom being by my side to help Was both physically and emotionally. Thanks to my aunts and uncles they all mourned and with a few days to spare my mom was able to make it down before our son was born. So when this employee called and said she wasn't sure what the arrangements were yet, all I could say while thinking of my own gramma was to "take the week off, we'll let your clients know and just don't worry about up here". In times like these you need to be with your family,and time to grieve with family. I called the salon and started rearranging schedules. I also found out that one of our assistants that was changeing to part time because she's going back to school, decided to make tuesday her last day of work to just focus on school.
Sooooo we have 3 stylists and 1 assistant to run the salon the rest of the week (we are open 9am - 8:30pm)! Lucky for us tuesday night the salon was closing at 6pm for a business class! With business as normal minus our full staff, it ened up being amazing week. The business class was energetic and inspiring as always. We had a mini P.K. class on a new product line;called Scruples (which we found after using it this week this stuff is AWESOME) Myself and another stylist ended up working one day each from 9am till 830 and as tired as we should have been, I think knowing how much we love our business and our clients and each other we just rolled with the punches.
On Saturday by 12:00 all three of us stylists were booked and the assistant was busy with pedicures....our boss came in, saw this and called over to the Mothership (our other bigger location) and sent over a stylist to help. Funny thing, as soon as we knew that it was like magnetic "we've got openings" vibe got sent out to the community because within 15 minutes, she was booked solid too. Let me tell you a little comic relief that summed up the week. I've been a stylist for 14years and I know my stuff. Well we were so busy on Saturday, I forgot to focus and when I went to shampoo a client I just simply let go of the hose. Now if you've been in a salon an seen this happen you know it is hilarious. I tried to grabbed the hose and without knowing it managed to put it back in the holder, so now it's streaming straight in my face! My hands are flapping at the water, my shirt is getting soaked, I am laughing and finally I turn the water off. I soak the whole left side of the salon. Everyone is laughing, at this point I can't see because my makeup is running down my face, my glasses are drenched and my hair is dripping like a wet dog. I am laughing so hard and my client says very subtle "I didn't know if I should get up or stay here, but I didn't even get wet" . This sets me off into tearful laughing and ....I quickly crossed my legs to avoid another type of liquid to flow down my legs!!!! Well needless to say I now look NOT like a fashion forward stylist, but like a wet dog that didn't know how to put makeup on correctly.....I finished every client with smiles and my hair looking crazy!
Sooooo roll with the punches I did do this week. From sunup to sundown everyday was great. Although there were fumbles along the way I think between the business class and knowing the other girls on my team had hearts of gold I managed to stay sane and in good spirits. I can honestly still say "life is Good"!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment