Tuesday, February 21, 2012

This is AWESOME

I am a hairstylist that also manages the salon I am in. This week I talked with my mentor manager and she told me as "manager your not always going to be liked, and to care for and nurture a business tough decisions need to be made". This was a concept I once new but went soft in trying to please everyone with Flexible schedules, distributing clients out fairly, trying to teach the stylist that truly do not want to learn, and not getting rid of the bad apples.Wellllll I may not own the salon I am in but being manager I put my hard earned knowledge and endless hours into it.
The owner of the salon, told me story too, he said "I had a partner and we had two salons. We decided to split and had to split the staff. My partner he wanted all the master stylists. I just wanted to be done with the partnership so I said take um, go. You know what I had left? New girls that didn't know anything. You know what I did? I molded them created them the way I wanted, if a girl couldn't learn my way, than I got rid of them, and today I have one of the most successful businesses in Western New York. You see I knew what it takes, and Andrea you do to. I want you to get the girls mold them, train them, grow them. You know color, that's what you do, show them what you know. You know what happened to the girls that stayed with my partner? Gone all of them, no one stayed with him, no one learned from him, instead they just left."
So what does this mean, well just that....start from the ground put roots into the girls and grow them to be big and bountiful. Now in my business a bunch of girls, there is drama, there are headaches, and there are sacrifices that have to be made. Some will leave, some will stay, but most of all I have the ability to take those that are dedicated that want to learn and grow, that want to have fun and bring them into the most amazing career out there. This means if I take a girl and make her head of the nail department, she will actually know her job, know how to give 100% customer service, she will know all the products and how to do the services right, she will know how to retain clients, and how to teach others to be just like her. She will know what it means to truly be the leader of that division. THIS IS AWESOME! If I have.......Wait I am saying I when what I should be saying is if "We" we because it's a team. Our salon revolves around team work, it revolves around those that want to see a prosperous work place, it revolves around the team players that attend all classes, promotions, any outside events the salon participates in, and most of all team players that actually want a life long career in the business! So, now if We as a team decide that a future RISING STAR has the passion and driving force within them than yes we give them 100% of ourselves to bring them to the next level. If that future star shows lack of effort,or shows signs of controversy than I vow "YES I SAY I" to not let them take down our energy or our driving force!
In a salon things can change fast and rapidly crumple, just as I felt everything was slipping away, tonight we had a class. Oh and thank god we did. It's at a time when what my mentor manager, and the salon owner now all makes since! I feel the end is not near , but instead the beginning has begun to rise...tonight was an awaking of who I am, what I am, and what I am about to become!!!!!
There are Pessimist, optimist, and yes I have both with in me, but what I know most is above all there is the opportunist and that is what I am is an OPPORTUNIST....so my friends that are near welcome to the Andrea you once knew in a little place that was know as Rapunzel's. It was no fairy tale, it was my life and I am starting to make this Rapunzelgirl come off the shelf, shake off the dust and DO MY THING! To those that do not know me, know this...never ever let what you know, be put away and collect dust, stand up for what you know, don't be afraid to say what needs to be done, even if it makes enemies, because hey everyone can't always be happy. Especially those that are not OPPORTUNIST, so no matter what always LIVE LIFE LOUD!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I loved the girl who polished and formed the image of Rapunzels...... but I also love the girl who is finding herself in Jamestown. This girl is helping so many other women find their style. This woman is exploding energy everywhere she goes! You keep making it work no matter what you do. I envy that! I love that in you......

    ReplyDelete