Thursday, February 2, 2012

If the grass is greener...

Proven point!
When you work in a business that relies on referrals it's a proven fact that if you just talk they will follow. Or so they say.....
I've been doing hair for 15 years. The salon I'm in now is about 40minutes away from where I live. I've been down on my luck lately and the grass is looking a whole lot greener on the other side. Living in one area and working in another has made the road rougher than what I thought.

To make this potentially long story short, I have failed myself. It's hard to admitt but I say it loud that way I remember. I have used every excuse in the book on why my business isn't as busy as I was at my own salon. I especailly use "well im not from here" excuse. EXCUSE is the perfect word.....people in my business say talk about what you do, I have not done this for a longggggg time. Today for lunch I decided to try Cibo Cafe. I had a bourbon burger with cottage cheese and there homemade brownies.....yum as I chew it down. When the waitress brought me my meal and viola the chance for me to slip her a card. She told me she just moved back from Florida and loves my color. I'm thinking it's time to fertilize my own lawn???? Yes I did I filled her with my knowledge and hook line and sinker she repeated my name to me 2times. I think she is trying to remember my name for a reason. Ding ding ding yup she ask for pricing...which in return I gave her a personal referral card and she returned to the kitchen. Within 1minute the owner of Cibo cafe came to my table, Brian introduced himself and asked how our big fashion show just went. Which means my waitress went in the kitchen and talked about the girl from Salon 1, for him to come out and ask about the event we just finished on saturday night. Well I caught him up to speed we exchanged hand shakes and he was excited to share his business information with me. Now I'm sure he to would become my client except for one thing, HE IS COMPLETELY BALD!

So to say I have failed myself is a big admittance, but today I talked. Everyone in the biz says if you just talk about what you do it will make a difference. Today that point was proven and I'm back in action. I thank you to the leaders in my industry that remind me to do what I do best "just talk"!!!!! (and let me add I got the best fertilizer around so watch out)......

1 comment:

  1. i couldn't agree more, the word "talk" seems like a little word but in the business of referral's it is your best friend. Sometimes we get complacent with what we do in life and think how the hell am i going to do this. your customer intervention that's what we will call it, helped me realize what i have been doing "slacking with the excuses", it took me back to when i first started in the business and why i love what i do. I take with me what i learned in my everyday life and behind the chair, i talked to all my clients and rebooked everyone and sold 145 in retail what a feeling!! im back and i have to thank you for your teamwork and dedication to our business. team work is a powerful tool. alpha dog's forever

    ReplyDelete