Sunday, February 26, 2012

Southwestern Eggs, Horses, & Toilet Water

Today I woke up and got breakfast sizzling away. Home fries, and southwestern eggs. I only had a few eggs, but I had a cartoon of fresh of the farm eggs,needing to be washed before using. We do not have our own chickens right now so I've been getting my brown farm fresh eggs from my husbands family farm, called "The Crosspatch" (). I love southwestern eggs, you know fully cooked, add some cheese, and top off with salsa!!! Yum, I really look forward to Sunday breakfast with the family. Usually we have a hard time waking my teenage daughter up, but with the smell of fried butter, potatoes scratching the pan with season salts sizzling it wasn't hard to get her to join the family.
After breakfast we all putted around the house doing this and that and then dressed to head to The Cross Patch. We have 2huge black Percheron horses that have been there for a couple months. They have an unbelievable black and white gypsy vanner stud and he is going to the auction in march. This led us to housing our 2drafts there for the winter to breed with him. This breeding was a process to. I am learning farm life as I have only lived and been around farms for 3years, yup I'm a city girl (probably why I'm a hair stylist). Now our black beauties are around 17-18hands high (68-72inches high from ground to withers), while Roy the studdley horse he is stands at about 15.5hands high(60inches). So breeding horses that are much taller than the stallion is quite a chore if your going to "do it" the good ol' fashion way, which we did. So a special platform was built and well we would back a mare up to the platform, while Roy would step up, literally, on the platform and they would do they thing. This was strange for me I think I even used the words "I feel like I'm watching horse porn" because it was so awkward. However, if it means we get beautiful foals than by all means bring on the porn..lol. Our horses have been breed and hopefully they took and we will have foals by Christmas.
In the mean time my husband (and I when I can) and my son have been going there almost everyday to help out with chores. TODAY WAS AWESOME!!! The little yellow machine that picks up the big bales of hay that drives out to the field to feed the horses was broken. Battery, starter, who knows, but what my husband did know was nighttime was setting in and only about an hour of daylight left. While his uncle messed with the machine, my husband grabbed our horses, harnessed them and told uncle Jim they were ready to work. YUP, the machine may be broke but the horses can work with out a starter or battery. So on went the forecart, and out to the field to get the wagon. Into the barn and the boys(my son and his cousin) adrenaline was pumping. They love climbing up on the bales sometimes four high, but it's like barn rule to not play on the hay and climb. They could fall or a bale could fall on them, and really we don't play with our food so we should play with the horses either. Well today they could climb and push and shove those bales down onto the wagon. Three loaded and my husband was off "step up" is the command to make our girls go! When they got back to the barn yu could tell they hadn't been worked in a while. Chores done, now off to home to do our own chores for the 3 other horses we have at home and me into the kitchen to cook dinner. When chores were down my husband came in and was like a school boy. He was exhausted but he had tons of feel good vibes, from being able to work with Max and Lace ( our girls nicknames max for Maxine and lace for Lacey).
To end the night here I am blogging, husband (his nickname is Bigs)is sleeping on the couch, two oldest kids in bed for school tomorrow, and my 3year old cries in the chair. Why is my little Miss Olive Amelia crying....well because I must be a mean mom because I don't believe in playing with tub toys in the toilet water, and she just doesn't understand why!!!

1 comment:

  1. A day in the life of my friend Andrea and her whacky city/country family!!!!! love it girl.

    ReplyDelete