I'm sure you've all heard the phrase as your running out the door and it stays open shut the door, what do you think we live in a barn?". This phrase went through my head over and over yesterday when I arrived home from a wonderful day in the Salon. You see we actually do live on a farm, and we actually have a barn. Right now we have baby chicks and do to the cold weather at night and the increase in coyotes and foxes, our babies are in our garage. We have heat lamps, and it's a controlled environment, rather than the draft barn. We also have ducks! A farm down the road, around the corner, or just over the way (because in the country this is the lingo for less than 20miles, everyone is your neighbor)had ducks and BAM they became dinner for one of those pesky animals. So these too are in our garage TMEPORARILY....
Yesterday I arrived home around 6:50ish, and my driveway is filled with lil chicks pesky at the ground. I quickley depart my vehicle and yup the garage door is open. I go inside and the ducks are gone too. I run to the food bags and start sprinkling food in the garage, and with the "round up" help from our Great Dane Chloe, the chicks returned to the garage. SLAM GOES THE DOOR, at the back of our garage I had bought a children's swimming pool, and the ducks have enjoyed it Dailey...yes, the pool is a hit because there they are swimming, drinking, wading' and having a good ol' ducks time. I open the back side of the garage sprinkle some food' and waddle waddle waddle they went to eat up the feed! SLAM GOES THE DOOR. Ok I got the ducks in, and the chicks' well 3 remained outside. I just couldn't catch them, they must be the independent politicians of the group making their own bold statements! I walk around the front of the house and enter my beloved home, hoping to get dinner going. I open the door, and hear chirping. What the HE double LL? The inside door is open..tonight one of my children is gonna get a good ol' fashion whoopin....there are baby chicks everywhere (mainly in the kitchen). They are old enough to get about a foot in height of flying, so yup they are EVERYWHERE! I ran into the garage and scooped more feed, returned to the kitchen and my amazing skills helped me trip and scatter food. Well it worked all the chicks gathered at the dining area (pile of feed).... I grabbed a broom swept the feed in the garage. A few chicks followed, the others ran (I'm sure I heard them in their chicken language screaming " holy cow where are you, we need major help this crazy mad women has a chicken beater and is falling all over the place and going nuts"). With the help of a laundry basket turned into a trapping device I got them all!
I had called my husband at some point during this chaos. When he got home he was happy to see no mess, chicks and ducks happily hanging in our mini barn aka garage. Of course no child of mine left the door open, and living on the farm I can't say "where you raised in the barn" so instead of scolding, whooping, or otherwise disappointing the kids, I threw my feet up and smiled at my life. Why? Because I wouldnt have it any other way!
Sometimes leaving the door open, leads to an eventful life, literally...
LIVE, LIFE, LOUD
No comments:
Post a Comment